Carthage 4-H After-School – is held at Carthage Elementary on Mondays, West Carthage Elementary on Tuesdays, and Black River Elementary on Wednesdays, two sessions each day from 4:00-4:45 p.m. and 4:45-5:30 p.m. There are four sessions of this 4-H after-school program as follows:
- Character Education 10/16/17-11/29/17- Students learn to be civic, good mannered, accepting, and healthy citizens. The curriculum, including team building activities, covers leadership, diversity, and how to be proactive and empathetic.
- Junk Drawer Robotics 12/4/17-1/31/18- This hands-on 4-H curriculum uses items found around the house, the office, and maybe even in the garbage, to help youth explore possibilities for a variety of cool uses. Lots of experiential, active learning for youth.
- For the Birds 2/5/18-3/21/18- Beautiful, musical, practical, athletic, and territorial – birds are an amazing addition to the animal kingdom. Mankind benefits from them for science information, food, and just relaxing hobbies. Students will participate in collecting information for real scientists with Cornell’s Lab of Ornithology (study of birds). This course may also include embryology studies with real eggs, depending on the time of the year.
- 4-H Yoga for Kids 3/26/18-5/9/18- This program will explore, teach, and practice breathing techniques, poses, partner poses, and team building activities. Students will gain knowledge of how to increase endurance, balance, strength, and flexibility. The goal is to equip youth to work towards achieving their optimal physical, social, and emotional well-being.
Carthage CASE Program (5-8), After School Enrichment
- Entrepreneurship “Shark Tank” 10/16/2017-1/31/2018- This program is teaching kids the fundamentals of business practices and allowing them to incorporate their own imaginations and creativity as they create new products. At the end of January, each group will be presenting their final presentations to community and school leaders. They will be showcasing their own prototypes and explaining their business plans. The community and school leaders (Sharks) will then be allowed to ask them questions about their product and business and can even hypothetically offer their expertise for stake, royalties, or equity.
- PlasmaCam Metal Art 10/17/2017-2/1/2018- This program is teaching kids to utilize the DesignEdge software that accompanies the PlasmaCam cutter. With the software, the kids will be able to either create their own image, or personalize an existing one. Once the design is complete, we will make an appointment to stay in the metal shop lab in order to use the PlasmaCam to cut the image out of metal. They will then touch up any edges with handtools and spray paint for finish.
Last updated November 28, 2017