What is Grow Local, Buy Local?
Cornell Cooperative Extension’s (CCE) Grow Local Buy Local initiative is working to increase farmers’ revenues by increasing direct marketing opportunities for local food in Jefferson and Lewis Counties and increase access to healthy foods for consumers.
We provide technical assistance and training for producers, distributors, and institutions with a goal of increasing market opportunities, and therefore increasing revenue and creating jobs. Assistance is available in a variety of formats, including one-on-one settings, group settings, in person venues, and utilizing technology such as webinars, polycom, and social media.
We are working on both sides of the food equation (producers and consumers) to promote:
- Increased sales to institutions (schools, hospitals, grocery stores).
- Increased capacity for processing of value added products.
- Connection to a food hub for year-round access to consumers and markets.
- Collaboration with local partners for a 20C kitchen for further processing and distribution of local products.
- Identification of future infrastructure and technical assistance needs.
- Networking opportunities with producers, processors, wholesalers and retailers throughout the entire food chain to coordinate distribution and market opportunities for locally produced foods in the surrounding area as well as throughout New York State.
Last updated June 20, 2016